United Malays National Organisation
|“||United, Loyal, In Service||„|
|~ The slogan of UMNO|
United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) is Malaysia's biggest and main national political party. It is a founding member of the Barisan Nasional coalition which, with its predecessor the Alliance, had been the government of Malaysia and dominated the country's politics from independence to the defeat in the 2018 Malaysian general election in May 2018. Until then, all of Malaysia's Prime Ministers had been members of UMNO, until Mahathir Mohamad became the first prime minister from Pakatan Harapan, and the first prime minister to have tenures with two different parties. Following Mahathir's resignation in 2020, the party subsequently rejoined the government with nine ministerial positions in the Muhyiddin cabinet.
UMNO's goals are to uphold the aspirations of Malay nationalism and the concept of Ketuanan Melayu, as well as the dignity of race, religion and country. The party also aspires to protect the Malay culture as the national culture and to uphold, defend and expand Islam across Malaysia.
List of the Supreme Commanders:
- Dato' Seri Sir Onn Dato' Jaafar (1946-1951)
- Datuk Seri Utama Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra al-Haj Sultan Abdul Hamid Halim Shah (1951-1971)
- Tun Datuk Seri Panglima Haji Abdul Razak Dato' Hussein (1972-1976)
- Tun Datuk Seri Utama Haji Hussein Dato' Haji Onn (1978-1981)
- Tun Pehin Sri Datuk Seri Utama Dr. Mahathir Mohamad (1981-2003)
- Tun Dato' Seri DiRaja Haji Abdullah Haji Ahmad Badawi (2004-2009)
- Dato' Seri Diraja Haji Mohammad Najib Tun Datuk Seri Panglima Haji Abdul Razak (2009-2018)
- Datuk Seri Panglima Dr. Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (2018-present)
Basically, the President of UMNO is the leader of the party.