Rape is the act of engaging in sexual activity without the consent of the victim. Rape is often between a male abuser and a female victim, but it can also be between a female abuser and a male victim, as well as between two males or two females.
The rate of reporting, prosecuting and convicting for rape varies between jurisdictions. Internationally, the incidence of rapes recorded by the police during 2008 ranged, per 100,000 people, from 0.2 in Azerbaijan to 92.9 in Botswana with 6.3 in Lithuania as the median.
Worldwide, sexual violence, including rape, is primarily committed by males against females. Rape by strangers is usually less common than rape by people the victim knows, and male-on-male and female-on-female prison rapes are common and may be the least reported forms of rape.
Widespread and systematic rape (e.g., war rape) and sexual slavery can occur during international conflict. These practices are crimes against humanity and war crimes. Rape is also recognized as an element of the crime of genocide when committed with the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a targeted ethnic group.
People who have been raped can be traumatized and develop posttraumatic stress disorder. Serious injuries can result along with the risk of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. A person may face violence or threats from the rapist, and, sometimes, from the victim's family and relatives.
Types of rape
There are a number of different types of rape. Among these are:
- Gang rape: This occurs when a victim is raped by two or more violators.
- Statutory rape: Nonforcible sexual activity in which one of the individuals is below the age of consent (the age required to legally consent to the behavior.) This is usually a common grooming tactic used by pedophiles, pederasts, and korephiles.
- Correctional rape: This is a type of rape deliberately used on lesbian women as a form of psychological torture in order to "correct" them into becoming heterosexual.
- Genocidal rape: Usually inflicted against a certain racial or ethnic group as part of a campaign of extermination against said racial or ethnic group. Genocidal rape most often occurs during armed conflict and constitutes a war crime.
- Date rape: So named as this type of rape often occurs on a romantic outing, in which the violator usually uses some kind of drug (usually illegal) to incapacitate their victim so they can't fight back.
- Marital rape: Also known as spousal rape, this type of rape occurs against and between spouses. Spousal rape is considered a form of domestic violence and sexual abuse.
- Rape by deception/Rape by fraud: When the victim is somehow tricked into sex, generally with the violator impersonating someone else.
- Stealthing: An unusual form of rape in which a man removes a condom during sex without the woman's consent. While the sex itself is usually consensual, this is considered a form of sexual abuse because it exposes the woman to STDs and unwanted pregnancies. As such it is legally classified as rape in several countries, such as Germany and the United Kingdom.
- Rape by blackmail/Sexual extortion: When the victim is blackmailed into sex.