Jump to navigation Jump to search
- January 9 - End of the Second Sudanese Civil War.
- February 8 - End of the Second Intifada.
- February 14 - Former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafic Hariri is assassinated in Beirut during a truck bombing perpetrated by Hezbollah, which kills 22 other people.
- February 15 - Christopher Pittman is found guilty of the 2001 murders of his grandparents, Joe and Joy Pittman, and is sentenced to 30 years in prison.
- March 1 - The Paraguayan People's Army is formed and begins an insurgency against the Paraguayan government.
- March 21 - Red Lake shootings
- May 15 - End of the Burundian Civil War.
- June 3 - Luka Magnotta is convicted of one count of impersonation and three counts of fraud after impersonating a woman to apply for a credit card and purchasing over $10,000 worth of goods. He pleaded guilty and received a nine-month conditional sentence with 12 months of probation.
- July 4 - Karla Homolka is released from prison.
- July 7 - Four radical Islamic terrorists separately detonate three homemade bombs in quick succession aboard London Underground trains across the city and, later, a fourth on a double-decker bus in Tavistock Square. 52 people of 18 different nationalities, all of whom were UK residents, are killed, and more than 700 are injured.
- August 1 - Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al Saud ascends to the throne of Saudi Arabia.
- August 3 - Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is elected President of Iran.
- August 18 - Dennis Rader, the BTK Strangler, is sentenced to 10 consecutive life terms in prison, one for each of his murders.
- August 26 - Pierre Nkurunziza is sworn in as President of Burundi.
- October 11 - Kelsey Smith-Briggs is killed by Raye Dawn Smith and Michael Lee Porter.
- October 13 - The International Criminal Court (ICC) indicts Joseph Kony, leader of the Lord's Resistance Army, for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- December 18 - Beginning of the Chadian Civil War.
- January 19 - Charles Powell
- March 11 - Riley Ann Sawyers
- March 21 - Hania Aguilar
- August 9 - Caylee Anthony
- January 17 - Zhao Ziyang
- February 5 - Gnassingbé Eyadéma
- February 19 - Giuseppe Piromalli
- March 21 - Jeff Weise
- April 23 - J. B. Stoner
- May 13 - Michael Bruce Ross
- July 7 - Germaine Lindsay
- October 7 - David Birnie
- October 10 - Milton Obote
- December 23 - Juvenal Uwilingiyimana
- February 14 - Rafic Hariri
- February 27 - Jessica Lunsford
- October 11 - Kelsey Smith-Briggs