Jump to navigation Jump to search
- January 18 - The Battle of Hayes Pond: a group of over 500 armed Lumbee Native Americans show up at a Ku Klux Klan rally, resulting in several Klansmen being injured by gunfire. No fatalities occur.
- February 22 - Egypt and Syria join together to form the United Arab Republic. Gamal Abdel Nasser is named president.
- May - Mao Zedong initiates the Great Leap Forward.
- August 7 - End of La Violencia.
- September 2 - Hendrik Verwoerd is elected Prime Minister of South Africa.
- October 2 - Ahmed Sékou Touré is named the first President of Guinea.
- October 27 - Ayub Khan seizes power in Pakistan via a successful coup d'état.
- December 28 - Beginning of the Battle of Santa Clara.
- Unknown - The National States' Rights Party is founded.
- Unknown - J. B. Stoner bombs the Bethel Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama. No one is injured in the attack.
- January 19 - Altemio Sanchez
- March 29 - Victor Salva
- April 11 - Brynn Hartman
- April 15 - Abu Hamza al-Masri
- April 16 - Robert Lewis Dear
- May 27 - Wayne Williams
- August 15 - Gertrude Mukangango
- August 26 - Billy Ray Irick
- September 19 - John Couey
- November 22 - Ibrahim Iskandar of Johor
- November 27 - Georges Rutaganda
- March 18 - Mbaye Diagne
- August 26 - Fredrick List
- August 29 - Michael Jackson
- October 13 - Jamal Khashoggi
- June 16 - Imre Nagy
- July 11 - Peter Manuel
- August 24 - Johannes Gerhardus Strijdom
- December 17 - Pierre-Antoine Cousteau