Jump to navigation Jump to search
- January 1 - Anastasio Somoza García becomes President of Nicaragua.
- January 8 - The Cuban government places certain gambling operations under the control of future Cuban President Colonel Fulgencio Batista. Batista then allows New York mobster Meyer Lansky and his associates to open the first syndicate casinos in Havana.
- January 8 - The severely mutilated body of Pamela Werner, daughter of British diplomat E.T.C. Werner, is found near the Fox Tower in Beijing, China. No suspects have ever been found, but the strongest theory is that the murder was a political assassination carried out by the Kuomintang (though this is never proven.)
- February 19 to 21 - Rodolfo Graziani orders the Yekatit 12 to be carried out following a failed assassination attempt on him. An estimated 19,200 to 30,000 Ethiopian civilians are killed in and around Addis Ababa as part of the massacres. End of the Second Italo-Ethiopian War.
- April 13 - African-American men Roosevelt Townes and Robert McDaniels are both brutally lynched in Duck Hill, Mississippi after being falsely accused for murdering a white shopkeeper.
- April 19 - Francisco Franco becomes leader of the Falange de las J.O.N.S.
- April 26 - The Bombing of Guernica is carried out in Spain, by the Condor Legion of the Nazi Party's Luftwaffe, in support of the Francoists. Three-quarters of the town is destroyed and hundreds are killed.
- July 7 - The Empire of Japan launches an invasion of the Republic of China. Beginning of the Second Sino-Japanese War.
- July 28 - The Irish Republican Army attempts the assassination by bomb of King George VI in Belfast.
- August 7 - The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 is signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, after being proposed by Federal Bureau of Narcotics Commissioner Harry J. Anslinger.
- September 22 - The Chinese Soviet Republic is formally dissolved.
- October 2 to 8 - The Parsley Massacre takes place when President Rafael Trujillo orders Dominican troops kill thousands of Haitians living in the Dominican Republic.
- December 13 - Beginning of the Rape of Nanking.
- January 25 - Ange-Félix Patassé
- February 19 - Boriss Pugo
- February 27 - Aslan Usoyan
- March 8 - Juvénal Habyarimana
- March 19 - Egon Krenz
- April 1 - Yılmaz Güney
- April 25 - Lee Roy Martin
- April 28 - Saddam Hussein
- May - Abu Nidal
- May 5 - Dieter Krombach
- May 21 - Mengistu Haile Mariam
- July 12 - Bill Cosby
- August 21 - Chuck Traynor
- August 26 - Gennady Yanayev
- October 17 - Foday Sankoh
- November 29 - Grady Franklin Stiles Jr.
- Unknown - Sheikh Ahmed Yassin
- February 11 - Ian Gow
- June 27 - Vladimir Herzog
- November 24 - Mario Amato
- April 4 - Abd Al-hafid
- November 27 - Vsevolod Balitsky
- December 7 - Federico Tinoco Granados
- December 20 - Erich Ludendorff
- January 8 - Pamela Werner
- April 13 - Roosevelt Townes and Robert McDaniels