- January 9 - Korean independence activist Lee Bong-chang attempts to assassinate Emperor Hirohito by throwing a hand grenade at his horse carriage. The assassination attempt becomes known as the Sakuradamon Incident.
- January 19 - Theodore Bilbo's second term as Governor of Mississippi ends.
- January 28 - Wang Jingwei is named Premier of the Republic of China.
- March - The Communist Party of the Soviet Union begins cutting off food supplies to Ukraine, triggering the Holodomor.
- March 1 - The Empire of Japan establishes the puppet state of Manchukuo in Northeast China and Inner Mongolia.
- March 2 - 20-month old Charles Lindbergh, Jr. is abducted from his home in Highfields in East Amwell, New Jersey, United States and murdered by Bruno Hauptmann.
- July 5 - António de Oliveira Salazar is named Prime Minister of Portugal.
- August 9 - Communist miner Konrad Pietrzuch is tortured and brutally murdered by members of the Sturmabteilung at his home in the Upper Silesian village of Potempa in Poland.
- September 6 to 7 - The Ustaše launch an attack on a police station in Brušane village near Gospić, Croatia, destroying the station. The incident is known as the Velebit Uprising.
- September 9 - Beginning of the Chaco War.
- September 23 - The House of Saud proclaims the formation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia after unifying the Emirate of Jabal Shammar and the Kingdom of Hejaz.
- October 1 - The British Union of Fascists is founded by Sir Oswald Mosley.
- January 23 - Jack Gilbert Graham
- February 1 - Hassan al-Turabi
- March 19 – József Barsi
- April 8 - Iskandar Ismail of Johor
- June 30 - Charlie Wilson
- August 1 - Meir Kahane & Aurelian Smith
- September 27 - Edward Muscare
- October 29 - Velma Barfield
- December 14 - Albert Spaggiari
- December 25 - Janie Lou Gibbs
- Unknown - Joseph Kibweteere
- March 3 - Dennis O Neill
- April 13 - Orlando Letelier
- August 2 - James Bailey Cash Jr
- November 13 - Willie Edwards
- November 27 - Benigno Aquino Jr.
- December 10 - Munir Naijar
- March 2 - Charles Lindbergh, Jr.
- August 9 - Konrad Pietrzuch