Jump to navigation Jump to search
- March 12 - Frank Costello is arrested for carrying a concealed weapons after detectives receive information from an informant. Costello is sentenced to one year in Welfare Island prison by Judge Edward Swann and is released after ten months.
- April 24 - The Ottoman Empire, now under control of the Young Turks (lead by Enver, Djemal, and Talaat Pasha) initiate the Armenian Genocide by deporting Armenian notables from Istanbul.
- May 7 - The RMS Lusitania is torpedoed and sunk by the German U-boat U-20, captained by Walther Schwieger. 1,198 are killed, with 128 being Americans. This would ultimately lead to the United States entering World War I on the side of the Allies.
- August 17 - Leo Frank, a 31-year old Jewish man who was wrongly convicted for the murder of 13-year old Mary Phagan two years earlier, is abducted from prison in Marietta, Georgia and lynched by a group of white supremacists known as the Knights of Mary Phagan.
- October 11 - The Ku Klux Klan is reformed by William Joseph Simmons after being largely inactive since 1871.
- December 12 - Yuan Shikai declares himself Emperor of China.
- June 26 - Paul Castellano
- July 1 - Nguyễn Văn Linh
- September 25 - Ethel Rosenberg
- November 25 - Augusto Pinochet
- February 3 - Danilo Ilić
- February 18 - Frank James
- July 2 - Porfirio Díaz
- August 13 - George Joseph Smith
- August 17 - Leo Frank